A Month Since the Pulse Shooting in Orlando

A month ago the lives of so many Central Floridians were changed forever. Words cannot describe the profound impact this event had in our minds and hearts. In the midst of the adversity, we've cried and mourned together; we also came together and united as one. We became Orlando Strong.

But it's been a month since the shooting, and even though some of our political leaders attempted to bring something to the table last month in Congress, the legislation fell through, and in predictable fashion, nothing has been done to this day to address this issue. I don't expect for change to come overnight, but if an opportunity came for us to try to make a difference, and prevent the next mass shooting, then by all means, we should seize the opportunity. 

I was criticized for wanting to talk about the issue of guns in this country, and was told at the time that it wasn't the right time to politize the shooting. 

So it's been a month, and the rest of the country and the media seems to have found other things to talk about. The mainstream media is back to talking about white police officers shooting black men, and Trump, all-the-while people are walking around like zombies playing Pokemon GO.

But I haven't forgotten about Pulse, or Sandy Hook, or Charlestown, or San Bernardino. So when should we begin to politize a tragedy like the one that happened in Orlando one month ago? Should we wait 24 hours to start politicizing it? Perhaps another week? Or maybe another month or two? How about another year? Or perhaps never?

But, what about those who died in the previous mass shooting? We never seem to find the time to start politicizing it for them.

What about the victims who died in the mass shooting before the previous one? Shouldn't have we politicized it for them, too?

What about the children of Sandy Hook?

There just never seems to be a right time to start politicizing these events.

Why?

When is the right time?

I want to be clear about something… if I ever am the victim of gun violence, let it be known to all of my friends, family, and loved ones, that it's okay to politicize my death as soon as they find out I'm dead. Please don't wait until I am even buried to start politicizing it. Use my name, use my memory, make me a meme, or whatever it takes, to start politicizing my death the moment you find out I died. Because we never seem to find the right time to start politicizing this topic.

Comments

Popular Posts