Have you ever used Craiglist to shop online?

I was having a conversation with a friend who was telling about his recent experience shopping on Craigslist.org. I've personally never used it but it got me thinking why I've never used it. One reason I've always had is that it can be particularly risky to make deals on this website because it has no true oversight of the deals that go on through its site. But, it does have its benefits to shop on Craigslist.

Take my friend, Jimmy, for example. He recently purchased a set of Bowflex 1090 Dumbells for a total of $550 including a workout mat.  Those items he bought go for $1096 on Bowflex's website.  That's a huge savings, and although his results may not be typical, I do know that my brother's have done some deals through the site that have saved them considerable amounts of dollars from their pockets as well.

Jimmy reminds me of things to be wary of when shopping on this website.  He gives us these tips:

  • Remember seeing the news about the CraigList Killer! Be very mindful about what information you give out, and how you choose to meet to make a deal.
  • If possible always meet and make a deal at a public location with other people in sight (easy to do if your selling a small item). Plus, it will be easier for both parties to locate, you can also take a friend with you to make the deal.
  • Whenever possible do not let the purchaser into your home. The person might be scoping out your home now for a break-in later.
  • If selling a larger item that cannot be moved easily, make sure you meet the person outside your home. If possible move item for sale into the garage or driveway and lock the doors (it is safer to runaway from your home to a neighbor's, than to run back into your empty house).
  • Let friends and/or family know you will be doing a Craigslist transaction.  Give them the location and time you will be meeting, and the name and phone number of person you will meet.
  • Also, look for fraud emails: people will use your ad posting to try to sell you something else or just to steal your identity.
Sounds like great advice to me!  I will definitely have to check out Craigslist.org next time I shop online to see what kind of deals I can find.

Have you ever shopped online?  Please share any good or bad experiences you've had when shopping online in the comments section.

Comments

Popular Posts