I'm Back!

I'm sorry for not having updated the blog in days. If you're wondering what I've been up to, well, I was out on vacation with my girlfriend, and my best friend and his girlfriend. We decided to go to Puerto Rico for Spring Break, and that was most certainly a good idea. I've also been busy with school and work since I got back from vacation. But hopefully I'll be having more time to post cool things (at least to me they are) again pretty soon.

Okay, so, as you may already know I am Puerto Rican. It had been many years already since I had been able to enjoy the many great resources the island has to offer. I moved to the States in 1992 when I was just 12 years old, and the two times that I visited since then was to go to my grandmother's funeral, and the second time with my ex-girlfriend. Although, I don't really count the second time because I was only able to stay in Puerto Rico for a couple of days and was unable to go anywhere. So basically, you can say this was truly my first time since 1992 to really enjoy the island.

Some of the places we went to where La Parguera, El Yunque Rainforest, Culebra Island, The Caverns of Rio Camuy, the Arecibo Observatory, among other places around the island. I think I can speak for all of us who went on this trip that we really had a great time in Puerto Rico. I'm already planning on going back!

Aside from all the fun we had, I can say as a Puerto Rico native, that I'm not very happy with the current state of the Island. Puerto Rico is a small island, and many great things and people have come out of it (including myself). But for a place that benefits from having the United States as a father-figure, so-to-speak, the place is in dire need of self-awareness of what's really going on there. I'm not sure if the local residents are happy with the way things are going, but someone needs to step up to the plate and accept the huge challenge that will be to reform the island and bring it to its great potential. What do I mean exactly? Well, Puerto Rico overall has a high murder-rate, for starters. For example, Puerto Rico's capital, San Juan, had 40 murders in the first two months of this year. That's an astonishing number considering that it doesn't include the other municipalities that also have high murder-rates in the island.

Secondly, the poverty in the island is rampant; and, in my opinion, that really shouldn't be the case. The current global economic outlook isn't great, but Puerto Rico's current status allows it to receive federal assistance from the United States, and it also is allowed to operate as its own country, making deals with other nations (mainly other Hispanic and European nations) that would allow it to boost its own economy. Puerto Rico is missing big opportunities to be better economically than they are now.

It seems to me that the government there just doesn't have a clue as to how to govern the island. When you see roads that need re-paving, or something as easy as to keep up with having the lines on the roads painted, or having adequate signage on them, speaks volume of the [lack of] priorities there. I saw many police cars that are in need of repairs too, a few with broken bumpers and many police cars were really dirty too. And they drive with the police lights on at night. What good does that do? How do you know if a cop is pulling you over or if he just wants to pass you? I don't get it. And the people there drive crazy, too. I guess it's hard to enforce traffic laws when your police spends most of their time going after drug dealers and murders, but still, people should more sense when they drive over there!

The government of Puerto Rico needs to really get a clue; and so do the people in the island. Please don't keep voting these crooks into office! You're only making things worse. Educate yourself, study your candidates, and run for office yourself if you have to so that you can be the change the island needs. Please bring change to my beautiful island. And next time, when I go back, I better see improvement in the way of life over there, or you're going to make me come back and run Puerto Rico the way it's meant to be run. [smiles]

Anyway, I got all worked up over how things are in Puerto Rico when I just really wanted to say that I had a good time over there and that I'm back.

By the way, you can now follow the blog by registering your email. Once you're signed up the system will send you an email when I've posted up something. I encourage all who come here regularly to sign up!

Comments

  1. Great post! David for president!!!! STELLA! STELLA! STELLA!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts