Why I don't like Lebron James

Recently, a friend asked me "why does everybody hate Lebron James"?  Well, I can't speak for everybody so I can only give you my reasons.

I don't like Lebron James, not because he's not talented; in fact, he is very talented.  When people say "Lebron sucks," I don't think they're talking about his talents.  Okay, maybe some are, but not me.  Anybody that says this simply doesn't know a hair about basketball, and are basically hating on the man.  Again, I don't think he sucks, I just don't like him.

It's the way Lebron acts on and off the court when he's losing that really gets to me.  I've been an NBA fan since I was a little kid, and as far back as I can remember, I don't think I've ever seen a player like him before, in both good ways, but mostly bad.  And that's bad for him because as much talent as Lebron has, he could be very well-liked and respected amongst NBA fans, players and coaches.  But instead he acts like a sore loser every time he loses.



Again, I cannot speak for everybody as to why they don't like him, but for me it goes back to the first playoff series against the Magic.  I think it was the 2009 playoff season when just as the 2nd quarter ended, Lebron finished arguing a call with a referee.  Evidently, he was not happy so a frustrated Lebron thought it was okay for him to walk right through the middle of the Magic cheerleaders' routine.  No respect was shown for the home team, nor us--the fans, and especially not the cheerleaders that were working that game.  So prior to that moment--like most NBA fans when a player faces their team--I didn't like Lebron because he was playing against the Magic.  But after that moment, as he was walking nonchalant through the Magic court, weaving his way in between cheerleaders as they try to avoid him, that's when I lost respect for him as a "professional" and as a person.

Then, a couple of games into that playoff series, Magic win it in a deciding game, and Lebron James walks off the court without saluting any of his teammates, and without acknowledging his opponents. Thus showing us his unsportsmanlike and unprofessional persona.

That's Lebron James then.

But Lebron James now does the same thing today.  Last night, after losing the Finals series against the Dallas Mavericks, a team who analysts had given no chance of winning the series, Lebron James walks off the court and straight to the locker room without saluting, again, most of his opponents, coaches, and teammates.  One friend told me that he only hugged Jason Kidd as he was walking off the court.  Still, not good enough for me.  There's a whole bunch of other guys at the other end that he left hanging and acknowledging the job well-done throughout the series.  Had the tables been turned, and Lebron was on the winning side, I'm sure he would have appreciated his opponents congratulating him on the win.  It's mind-boggling to me that he refuses to this after every big loss.

There's also the Jordan factor.  People have been comparing Lebron to Michael Jordan since Lebron came into the NBA.  And most recently Michael's longtime sidekick, Scottie Pippen, made comments suggesting that Lebron has the potential of being greater than Michael Jordan and winning more championships than him. My take on that is that maybe Lebron will win numerous championships, but he will never be equal, nor greater than Michael Jordan.  Michael Jordan is the greatest player to have played in the NBA, not because he was so great at one thing, but because he was so great at many things.  Michael never quit on his team during a playoff series like he did in the Cleveland vs Boston series in the 2010 playoffs.  I also don't think Jordan ever had so many people dislike him as Lebron James has.  That's what made Jordan special  He was very well-liked by fans, players, and coaches alike.  It's no surprise that his brand continues to strive long after his retirement from the NBA.  He is just simply the greatest, and Lebron James simply isn't.



Maybe Lebron James will win a championship someday, maybe not.  But I will continue to dislike him as long as he has this attitude about himself as if he's above everybody else.  Maybe losing this series, in what everybody thought would be the favorite to win it all, will show Lebron James that he is what Scottie Pippen is to Michael Jordan.  And maybe then I will start to like him.  Or not.







Comments

Popular Posts